I've been busy the last few weeks with, among other things, writing a NIH R01 proposal. Along the way I got to thinking about the various stages* in the grant writing process...
1) Elation - Woohoo!!! I have this killer, sure-to-be-funded, knock-the-reviewers-jocks-off** idea for a grant! With all the preliminary data any reviewer could possibly want! I can't wait to get started!
2) Determination - Gotta write. Gotta write. Go away, can't talk now. Gotta write.
3) Anger - Funding rates are WHAT?!?!?!?
4) Denial - Who the fuck is going to fund this steaming pile of wombat crap?
5) Acceptance - What the hell. Let's just submit the bugger. They have to fund someone.
* I'm not the first: http://creativecommonwealth.ky.gov/2011/11/02/grant/
** Yes, jocks not socks. It really is that good an idea.