Who are you, why are you here, what do you want?

Jun 16 2011 Published by under Life

In a case of I see monkey do...

Copying from DrugMonkey, here's a little meme for anyone paying attention:

This originates from Ed Yong at Not Exactly Rocket Science. Ed asked the following of his readers:

1) Tell me about you. Who are you? Do you have a background in science? If so, what draws you here as opposed to meatier, more academic fare? And if not, what brought you here and why have you stayed? Let loose with those comments.

2) Tell someone else about this blog and in particular, try and choose someone who's not a scientist but who you think might be interested in the type of stuff found in this blog. Ever had family members or groups of friends who've been giving you strange, pitying looks when you try to wax scientific on them? Send 'em here and let's see what they say.

So have it dear reader(s?).

• gerty-z says:

HI, Odyssey!! I'm here for the beer and nipple shirt. Also, I really like to hear the view of someone that is further down the tenure track. You are like a role-model for the n00bs. Thanks!

Role model? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!....

Oh wait, you're serious? G-Z, I'm the anti-role model. My career path should be a warning to others.

• proflikesubstance says:

I'm here for the NSF advice, which is in short supply around the bloggosphere. And the nipple shirts.

I've never quite understood why there seem to be proportionally more biomedical bloggers than more physical sci types. Given the tremendous variation in how directorates, divisions and even panels function at the NSF, the more people sharing their experiences the better.

Does your wife know about your thing with nipple shirts?

• Rxnh says:

I'm fresh meat for the PhD grinder in a physical science. Enjoy your comedy routines/ vids and insight into the life of a NSF funded scientist. Nom noms!

I keep coming back to Pondering Blather for the views on NSF-funded science and your rather balanced perspective on life in academia. That and the inspirational asskicking whenever you talk about mid career scientists needing to venture outside of their comfort zone.

• docstymie says:

I'm here cuz you're one of my best friends. 🙂

• Bigfeet says:

I'm here coz I'm a grad student and PIs puzzle me. At least you will admit to having a life outside of science. Originally I was looking for reviews of barrel aged beer!

• I'm here because you are my older sibling and you would beat me up otherwise. Or tell Mum.

• namnezia says:

Mainly beer. But also for your calm and collected advice. And snarky commentary.